Friday, February 12, 2016

Reflections on Snooping

So I honestly thought we were going to find out more about our classmates.  I was pretty surprised at how little we found, and was surprised at how difficult it was to find some things.  Of course difficult is relative, and I'm sure if you dedicated multiple hours to looking into a person you could have more luck with it, as well as more luck finding out ways to find out information on people.

I did think there was a couple of very clever things that people brought up. For instance, finding someone's hometown then specifically going to that town's website to look up public records was smart.  A friend of mine also pointed out that his personal Facebook URL gave away his online handle that he used for many things, which could've been used to find a lot of other online activity.  I had also realized that a few years ago if you had reverse image-searched one of my old Facebook profile pictures, you could have found a forum that I used to be a part of, which would have given away my online handle.  Although now the website no longer exists, it made me think about some more complicated and clever ways you could gain access to someone's information.

No comments:

Post a Comment