Friday, April 22, 2016

Intellectual Property Presentation

I thought the presentation was pretty interesting, if a bit rambling.  It was basically all new to me, so I liked learning about the differences in trademark, copyright, etc., as well as the process of getting a patent.  I know my father has a number of software patents from his time working with Hyperformix, so it was neat to learn how he likely went about it at his company, and how it make work for me in the future.

I definitely feel like some type of software patents should be available, and I think it sucks that after the Alice supreme court decision they seem to be harder to get.  It feels like software, at least in some cases, is analogous to machine patents.  If you can patent a physical thing to do something in a certain way, then it seems like you should be able to patent a software program or algorithm in a similar fashion.  Though I'm sure that there are far more intricacies to the issue than what I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment